Ahad, 4 Mac 2012

Cancer Success Stories: Book 2 - Miraculous Healing

Cancer Success Stories: Book 2 - Miraculous Healing
by Chris K. H. Teo
Miracles happen more often than expected !

When man started to learn how nature works, he called this new knowledge science. Up to this day science has achieved tremendous progress to the   extent that it has turned around and rejected any natural phenomenon that does not fit into its mould of thinking. What cannot be seen, measured and explained are deemed unscientific. I have always held the view that science does not have all the answers to our problems. If we do not know, it is due to our lack of knowledge. Until then, nature still remains mysterious irrespective of how much we think we know.

For thousands of years, the Chinese and Indians have been practising the art of healing producing miraculous results. To them, the question of whether what they have been doing is scientific or not, does not arise nor is it of any concern. To them, what matters is that their actions are effective and benefit them!

This book documents many stories about healing of cancer patients. Healing is a personal choice. It is up to each individual to choose and opt for the healing path that he/she is comfortable with. This book affirms one simple but important message: there is a choice!

Contents

                     Foreword by Dr. Francisco Contreras................. i
                   
                     Preface............................................................. vii
                    
                     Chapter 1....... What is After Medical Treatments         1

Chapter 2     Integrative Medicine: When Modern
                     Medicine and Herbalism Meet......................... 21

Chapter 3     A More Humane Path to Healing.................... 53

Chapter 4     Miracles Happen More Often Than Expected............... 83

Chapter 5     Common Sense and Gut Feelings.................. 123

Chapter 6     Trust and Flow............................................... 163

Chapter 7     When Medicine Fails..................................... 193
 .
Chapter 8     Healing the Medically Incurable.................... 209
                    
Chapter  9    Ignorance and Fear........................................ 233

                     Index ............................................................. 263

Excerpts from the book


Foreword
Francisco Contreras, M.D., Surgical Oncologist
Director of Oasis of Hope Hospital
www.oasisofhope.com
Author of Health in the 21st Century, The Hope of Living Cancer Free, The Hope of Living Long and Well, An Alternative Guide to a Healthy Heart, and The Coming Cancer Cure


According to Dr. Chris K. H. Teo, true healing ventures beyond a person's physical body to include his psyche and spirit.  When care is provided to the whole person, a proper balance between his body, mind and spirit can be restored.  When these three areas of a person are working together harmoniously, total health results.

Medical science does not address the needs of the whole person though clinical studies indicate that a patient's well-being is largely dependent on his spiritual and psychological state. It takes emotional and spiritual strength to overcome the adversity of a physical illness.  This strength is reflected in a patient's determination to live. I have had the privilege of working with thousands of cancer patients at the Oasis of Hope Hospital and what I have found is that patients who are determined to live take a proactive approach to their treatment.  They do not just sit back and let doctors work on them.  What I like about Dr. Teo's book is that he encourages patients to be proactive and he gives them tools to take control of their health.

Dr. Teo is a voice of reason that helps patients to stop feeling sorry for themselves and start getting informed about their illnesses and how to overcome them.  He explains how nature is a fountain full of resources that the body can use to reverse disease and he reminds patients who complain about the taste of herbal therapies or the work that it takes to prepare them, that it is a mild discomfort compared to the suffering associated with chemotherapy and radiation.

This book contains many answers for people who have cancer and the patient testimonies it features are motivating.  Though no cures are promised, the stories within this book work much like a roadmap to a higher quality of life.  Dr. Teo shares how incorporating emotional healing is key to strengthening the body, diminishing pain and regaining independence.

I agree with Dr. Teo that modern medicine has much to learn from the ancient healing arts.  While there is great excitement about human genome mapping and the potential cures that may result from this advancement in research, Dr. Teo focuses on lifestyle and environmental issues.  He has not forgotten that a very small percentage of illnesses can be attributed to genetic predisposition.  I enjoyed this book because it provides practical and effective ways that people can improve their health instead of focusing on possible future cures available through technological discoveries.

I applaud Dr. Teo for his approach that in part parallels the approach that my father, Dr. Ernesto Contreras, Sr., pioneered back in the 1960s ?to be effective as a physician, you must provide resources, therapies and a healing environment that will help a patient improve his physical, emotional and spiritual quality of life.

As a medical doctor, I am proud to say that we have uncovered countless therapies and technologies that allow us to better help our patients.  But the most important way to help is for us to acknowledge our limitations and encourage patients to involve God in the healing process.  I tell my patients that we will do what is possible and trust God to do the impossible.  It really struck a chord with me when I saw the motto of Dr. Teo's clinic, Our hands [are used] but God heals.


Chapter 1: What is After Medical Treatments?

Devi was diagnosed with lymphoma (cancer) sometime in June 1997. She had a course of chemotherapy but gave that up because of the severe side effects. She then underwent radiotherapy and had a total of thirty-five treatments. After that, Devi was well. She said: I was sent for a scan and the doctor said there was no evidence of cancer. That was it, I thought that was the end. I never ever conceived that the cancer would come back again. I thought I was cured. Exactly a year later, I had a relapse of the lymphoma.

Indeed, the above story is very often being played over and over again. Most patients think that once the doctor has finished with the treatments they are well. In their minds, they are done with the cancer. Indeed, they feel well for a while. But unfortunately, cancer may not be done with them yet. Sooner or later, and more often within a few years the cancer comes back again. For some lucky patients the cancer may rear its ugly head only after ten to fifteen years. But in Devi's case she was not that fortunate. She suffered a relapse after just a year of an apparent cure. It never occurred to her that the cancer could ever come back again. And Devi is considered to be an educated person, a lawyer by profession, yet she was so naive.

We see two unfortunate situations here. One, the patients are not told that there can be such a thing as recurrence. Once they are discharged from the hospital or after all treatments are completed, they are given the impression that they are cured. Of course, we cannot blame the doctors. They have other priorities. What I find most tragic is that patients themselves are contented to be ignorant about their illness. They do not read or want to read for themselves. Some do not even want to know or talk about their cancers after their traumatic experiences. Pretending that it never happened does not necessarily mean the cancer is done with you yet. But such is the mentality of some people. The second unfortunate situation is that doctors do not believe that diet and lifestyle are the main causes of cancer. So, patients are sent home and told to eat what they like and lead the same old lifestyle again. Many live their lives like there is no tomorrow. Sooner or later, the inevitable repeats itself. And sometimes the relapse is worse than the first experience. The ability of the cancer to spread and to regrow elsewhere is what makes the disease so difficult to cure, if at all, there is such thing as a cure! Indeed, if cancer does not spread or recur, then curing cancer is no big deal. Remove the tumour and everything is gone.

So, the obvious question any wise patient would ask is: What is next after all the medical treatments?


Story 1
Devi Turned to Herbs after Her Medical Treatment


On 18 March 1999, I met up with Devi. The following are excerpts of our conversation (available on VCD).

After the radiation treatments, you thought you were cured. Did you go back to your old diet?
Yes. I went back to my old lifestyle. I had a relapse. The doctor said radiation was out. I had to go for chemotherapy. After six cycles of chemotherapy, I went for a scan. There was no sign of cancer. I was alright. However, I was feeling lost again after the chemotherapy. There was a fear in me, like what would happen if the cancer came back. It had come back the previous time. Would there be any drug or anything that I could go on taking that could keep the cancer at bay? The doctor said there was really nothing that I could do. Go for a check-up. Look out for signs and if there was anything, go for a scan.

Did you go for check-ups regularly?

Yes. Firstly, it was every month. Then every two months.

Why then, do you opt for the herbs?

As I have said earlier, after chemotherapy, that is the end of the road. Medically, they have nothing else to offer you. When I was in the hospital I heard patients talking about the rodent tuber. So, I told myself that if medical science had nothing to offer me after this, the only other option available to me would be to move to Nature. I had this feeling in me ?we are so busy trying to develop things to cure ourselves that very often we overlook that the answer to all our cures is actually out there in Nature.

I felt that I had nothing to lose by trying the rodent tuber. And that was when I came to see you.

When you came to see us, were you feeling alright? any discomforts?

When I came to see you, I had just finished my sixth chemotherapy. I was very weak.

When you first started taking the herbs, what was your initial reaction? Were you sceptical about them?   

Quite honestly, I was a bit sceptical. But at the same time, I thought they were my only hope.

Tell us honestly, what was in your mind? Sceptical in what sense?
I would be very honest. There are no findings, documentation or books. When you look at medical science, there are data, books written about it, so you know that it is proven. It is there.

And being a lawyer, you always want proof, to see things on the dotted line?

Yes, exactly.

So, when you came to see me, you have nothing?
Like I said earlier, herbal treatments and things like that ? Yes, nothing. No data!
So I was really lost. But when you have an illness like cancer, you would grasp at any straw that is being held out to you.

After taking the herbs, did you find confidence or get any help at all?

As time went on, I could actually feel my body recovering much faster. I felt much better. I was healthier and much more alive. I used to be half-dead.

Do you really feel better or is it just a placebo effect?

No, no, no. I could really feel my body responding. For one thing, I could really feel I had more energy. When I was undergoing my chemotherapy and even when I had finished it, there were times when I feel like I did not want to get out of my bed. I just got up to eat and then went back to bed again. But after taking the herbs, I could feel myself building up energy and I was more active. And right now, I am healthy enough to go back to work and even exercise. I can do things that I could not never do before.

Before you took the herbs and while you were on medical treatments, did you go back to work?

No, no, I just could not handle that. Most of my time was spent going in and out of the hospital. So, I was out of work for about seven months.

Yes, now I had more energy. I was more active and hope started to build up. It affected me psychologically as well. I began to feel I was getting better. I went back to life the way it should be, instead of just lying in bed. So, I started work and I am back to work full-time now.

You know, I noticed that when I was having the chemotherapy, a lot of my veins swelled and were darkened ?very dark. But after taking the herbs they have all lightened up.

When you went back to your doctor for a check-up, did the doctor ask you what you have been doing?

Yes, the doctor did ask and I told him that I was on herbal treatment, meditation and prayer. At the last check-up, he did ask me if I am still on my meditation and herbs. I said YES and very religiously too. And he just laughed!

On 4 June 2001, about three years on the herbs, I met up with Devi again at Subang Jaya.

Are you fine? No problems?
No problems.

Have you gone back to your doctor for a medical check-up?

Yes, yes. But for lymphoma, the professor said there is nothing much that they can do anyway. They just ask you some things:here, there and that's it.

How often do you have to go back and see the doctor?

Once every six months.

Comments: We are indeed happy that Devi found hope in the herbs and has been doing well thus far. Indeed, it is rare to find data or written accounts on the benefits of herbs in most countries, except perhaps in China and that is, if you read Chinese. It is for this reason that I have started to document our work. In fact, when the Honourable Minister of Health invited me for lunch some years ago, the first question he asked was if I have kept any data and documented our work. My answer was: Yes, Dato. Definitely.

Devi came to see us out of desperation and not because she believed in what we were doing. She had a relapse of her cancer. After a second round of defense against cancer and one year of medical treatments she was lost. What if the cancer ever came back again? Her fear was real. Fortunately, Devi was pragmatic and not contented to sit back and wait for another relapse, if at all, there was going to be one. Wisely she looked outwards and around her. She found solace in herbs, prayers and meditation. And Devi has been rewarded for her efforts. We rejoice in her healing and praise God for this blessing.

Indeed, the educated mind always demands that everything must be backed by data to be credible. Unfortunately, in the earlier days of our work, we had no data. The situation is different now. We have many real-life stories to tell. But to these educated minds, stories are not good enough evidence. Evidence must come from double blind experiments. Indeed, we cannot win them all. However, if you insist that that is the way to find truth, then so be it. But know that your belief is but one perception about truth. Do we not know that there is more than one road to Rome? Therefore I put this to all readers and cancer patients: here are our stories. The stories are backed by video recordings. They are true and in each of these stories are some lessons that we can learn from. Healing is a personal choice. So exercise that choice wisely.

We are reminded of what one great Taoist said:


When the best student hears about the Tao,
He practises it diligently.
When the average student hears about the Tao,
It seems to him, one moment to be there and gone the next.
When the worst student hears about the Tao,
He laughs out loud.

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

Nota: Hanya ahli blog ini sahaja yang boleh mencatat ulasan.